Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

GIGO

Quite a few years ago, as in, before I was even engaged, I was visiting a very good friend and we got to talking about music.  She had recently made the switch to listening to mostly Christian music and I was curious about the change.

GIGO, she said.

Come again?

Garbage In, Garbage Out.

What you are taking in and filling your brain with is what is going to be the most ready to come out of your mouth or pop into your mind first.

This got me to thinking about what I do put into my head.  Since I'm not a fan of "pop" Christian music, I did not make the switch to programing the Christian station on my radio.  I did buy some good Christian CDs and put them on my iPod so that I was at least not listening to all secular music.  And I have never listened to "dirty" music, but seeing as how much I love music, I found it very hard to cut secular music out completly.


Until now.

Evan is an auditory learner.  We've known this for a while now.  When I think that a random smattering of artists singing on my iPod is just background music, I have questions firing at me. 

What does that mean, mom?


Haha!  He just said "at 'em!"

He's talking about a horse, mom -- what's he doing? 

The scariest part was when he started singing along to some of the songs.


And so just like that, I'm listening to my music through the ears of my three year old and I'm hearing phrases and words I never heard before.  Music I would have (a month ago) labeled as "clean" is now only on occasionally.  And music that I knew was "iffy" is now not listened to at all if there are little ears around.

But I have to have music on, and since Evan is obviously taking in what I perceive to be just background tunes, what better to have on than Scripture memory verses?  So I bought the second volume of the Steve Green Hide 'Em In Your Hearts CD and Evan loves them.  The other benefit, I'm now singing these little songs to myself, too, which has turned out to be a nice reminder of how I'm supposed to be acting, too.

Music we're listening to now: Indelible Grace, Mercy Me, Owl City, Sovereign Grace, Lifehouse, Jars of Clay and some others.  Most of Norah Jones and AKUS is still ok.  So is a lot of Rascall Flats.  But not everything and it's taken time to figure out what is ok and what is not.

GIGO, my friends!  What are you listening to? 



WIWO is the new motto: Wholesome In, Wholesome Out!

(I don't want to mislead anyone.  The boys go to nap -- or if I'm in the car alone -- and the iPod goes strait to my favorite play lists!)

1 comment:

Kat said...

You are so right about GIGO and WIWO! I made the switch to country music this year with B's little ears, but your post makes me think. . . I can do a lot better!